25 9 / 2012
43 Sesame Street Facts for the 43rd Season
This week Sesame Street kicked off its 43rd season. We’re big fans of the Street, and to prove it, here are some of our favorite Sesame facts from previous stories and our Amazing Fact Generator.
1. Oscar the Grouch used to be orange. Jim Henson decided to make him green before season two.
2. How did Oscar explain the color change? He said he went on vacation to the very damp Swamp Mushy Muddy and turned green overnight.
3. During a 2004 episode, Cookie Monster said that before he started eating cookies, his name was Sid.
4. In 1980, C-3PO and R2-D2 visited Sesame Street. They played games, sang songs, and R2-D2 fell in love with a fire hydrant.
5. Mr. Snuffleupagus has a first name—Aloysius
6. Ralph Nader stopped by in 1988 and sang “a consumer advocate is a person in your neighborhood.”
7. Caroll Spinney said he based Oscar’s voice on a cab driver from the Bronx who brought him to the audition.
8. In 1970, Ernie reached #16 on the Billboard Hot 100 with the timeless hit “Rubber Duckie.”
9. One of Count von Count’s lady friends is Countess von Backwards, who’s also obsessed with counting but likes to do it backwards.
10. According to Muppet Wiki, Oscar the Grouch and Count von Count were minimized on Afghanistan’s Baghch-e-Simsim “due to cultural taboos against trash and vampirism.”
So Much More: 43 Sesame Street Facts for the 43rd Season
Permalink 204 notes